Abby's Neurodiversity Blog

Monday, July 10, 2006

Prenatal test for autism.

This is really, really disturbing to me. It's depressing, it's infuriating. It's depressing in one respect to consider the prosepct of the genocide of autistics, and at least as much to consider the extent of human prejudice this represents.

I like who I am. I like the way I perceive the world. I like the way I experience things. I'm glad I exist. Someday I will die and that unnerves me. The only real consolation is, human kind will continue.

That the future for human kind may be one where diversity is not embraced, a world from which people like me are excluded, and a world where individuality is squelched, that's depressing.

I sincerely hope we are not the last generation of autistics. To eliminate an entire group of people, and ensure the nihility of that groups enire future progeny, is unfathomably lamentable. An entire way of thinking and being, a part of what makes humanity what it is, destroyed. People not being aloud to exist simply because they are differnt.

Well, what if the situation were reversed? What if I were so deplorable a person as to pass judgement on my child before he's even born?

What if I get pregnant, and prenatal test my unborn child for autism, and just terminate the pregnancy if I found out I were pregnant with an NT child, and decide right off the bat, I don't even care to meet that person and I just don't even think he should be born?

I wouldn't do that. I'd love my kid for whoever he/she was no matter what. I would want him/her to be happy, and care for him/her no matter what kind of neurology he/she had.

Well, I don't think this prenatal test business is going to blink autistics out of existence. Autism is genetic. There are multiple generation autistic families who are perfectly content to be themselves. But still the idea, the bigotry, the thought that this is even happening, and the lives that doubtless will be lost over this, is disgraceful.

Anyhow, humanity thrives because of it's diversity.

Face to face communication is less necessary with the advent of computers. In many jobs, good memory, and attention to details are more useful than motor or social skills. Expertise in highly specialzed scientific and technological fields are more prevalent now than ever before.

The fact that humanity includes individual differences, is why our species is so strong.

But, things are getting really serious now. How can humanity be strong, and united as a species, when some expressly disqualify others from their definition of personhood?

We are all human, and all of humanity deserves equal respect, but if some want to exclude and segregate us what can we do? Someday, in the future, people will give up archaic prejudices, and except others for who they are.

Until then, I guess all we can do is at least take care of eachother as best we can, try to raise awareness and gain acceptence. The whole thing is just very sad. Humanity dissapoints me sometimes.

2 Comments:

Blogger Ettina said...

Prenatal diagnosis of autism terrifies me.
My Dad once said that it wouldn't directly affect me - after all, I'm already born. But besides my sadness at losing other autistics from the world, it would affect me, and other autistics. Just think of how untreated PKU is described - much worse than many developmental disabilities. There are still people with untreated PKU about, and they are not any worse off than other severely developmentally disabled people, but in convincing itself of the importance of neonatal testing and dietary treatment for PKU, society has denigrated these people much worse than usual. If autism were considered 'a thing of the past', similar changes would occur.

3:07 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Your blog is wonderful; your thoughts here are beautifully articulated and invaluably insightful. I ran across this while googling 'neurodiversity', not knowing that it is a concept well established. My children (and perhaps myself and many family members before me) are on the spectrum and I am currently in school trying to specialize in neurodiversity. Your blog and others like it are an inspiration and necessary force as agents of change. Thank you, and please keep writing.

9:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home