Abby's Neurodiversity Blog

Sunday, June 25, 2006

This is my first post. I suppose it would be appropriate of it to be an introduction, and the best introduction would be an explaination of why I created this blog in the first place. I am trying to create a blog about nerodiversity and autistic rights.

I'll try to summaraize, which I'm not entirely good at, but here is a brief outline of what lead me here:

First, parents, teachers, and doctors thought I was odd.

Next, I got diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome.

Next I had some bad experiences with a corrupt education system, and ignorant doctors and medications and things(despite the fact that I have loving, supportive, well meaning, albeit occasionally misguided, parents for whom I am very grateful).

Next, I declared that there wasn't anything wrong with me, and therefore I couldn't have anykind of whatever this whole autism thing was.

Next, I read about it, and said, "Hmm. OK, yes. I suppose I do have that. But, I can't see how there's anything wrong with it. Everybody has different strengths and weaknesses, and they seem to be medicalizing individuality. I like myself the way I am. Is there anyone else like me who feels this way?"

Then, I got online, and discovered that I was not the only one who felt this way about it, and that there are many people who think like me, and who feel the same way about it, as I do.

The internet is where the other half of the story is told. Not the story that doctors, teachers, and parents sometimes try to push on us, that we are actually suffering but just don't know it; but our side of the story. That these differences in the way we think, and in the way we perceive, are not wrong. Our individual minds, and our minds alone are who and what we are. And, I have long held that if I was "cured" of the way I think, than I, would cease to exist. Altering the very core of what makes someone who they are, keeps them from existing, and replaces them with someone new, and thats a kind of death, so it just wont do.

Anyhow, I've come accross some excellent blogs, my favorite one being Autistic Bitch From Hell:
Autisticbfh.blogspot.com .

And, I've also discovered that a lot of people who claim to be trying to help, are actually causing a lot of harm, such as a lot of doctors, and a lot of non-autistics on the internet who think they know what is best.

I'm often taken aback at how some people claim to care about autistics but say such hateful things about/to them, such as calling them a bitch, or saying they are mentally dead/better off dead.

I've also discovered many tragedies and injustices that I hope to do something about. There have been many instances of autistics being murdered, and often their murderers are not brought to justice:
http://www.geocities.com/growingjoel/murder.html
http://autisticbfh.blogspot.com/2006/06/speaking-truth-to-power.html
http://www.gazettetimes.com/articles/2006/05/22/news/community/ammon01.txt

In addition to that, cruelty and medical negligence against autistics goes unpunnished all the time, and is often even condoned by the law.

I was talking to my step-mom about the Katie McCarron case, and other senseless murders and how I wanted to be able to do something about it.

She recommended to me, that I change my major from geology, to either law or special education, and eventually become a lobbyist for autistic rights. She noted I was much more passionate on the subject than geology. I proposed the idea to my dad.

He said he couldn't see why he'd never thought of it before. He said I would be uniquely qualified as a special education teacher, having had experience being in the system myself. That, my students and I would both learn differently, and therefore I would be ideal for teaching them.

Also, that I have had some bad experiences in special ed, my father has even fought the school system on my behalf and for that I am very thankful. If I were a special education teacher, I could right some of the wrongs in the system today, treat children like people, not like dammaged goods which can't learn, and need to be warehoused where no one will see them.

He also noted that, being a special ed teacher with a focus on autism would make me a qualified expert on autism, that in addition to being on the spectrum myself, would help me on my way to becomine a lobbyist.

My step mom is a lawyer, and ever since she married my dad, she's been taking all the cases involving autism. My step-mom told me that she is aware of a group called "Bikers against child abuse." They are a group of motorcyclists which gives support to abused children, and sometimes attends trials. She said that I should form a similar group, to support the rights of autistics.

So, that is, in short this is where I am and how I got here.

3 Comments:

Blogger Ari N. said...

It's good to see a capable and talented autistic student taking on the important mission of securing our inalienable rights, particularly in the context of education. I am also an Asperger's autistic and I am also involved in the neurodiversity and education policy reform communities. I'll be attending the University of Maryland-Baltimore County this coming year. E-mail me. It sounds like you and I have a lot of the same ideas.

6:10 PM  
Blogger Lisa Jean Collins said...

Hi again,

I added your blog to my Yahoo group Autieparents.

Second I'd like to tell you my blog called autiemom.blogspot.com. If I get time, I'll add your blog to my list of links on my blog.

I also run a Yahoo group called AutisticBibleChurch for autistic Christians who can't function in a church environment.

9:21 AM  
Blogger Lisa Jean Collins said...

Hi again,

Your parents might be interested in joining Autieparents. The group is private and by invitation only, which is why you can't find it by searching Yahoo groups under that name. Here is the link:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/autieparents/

1:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home